Old 05-02-2003, 06:31 PM
animaux

Default Organic rose program

On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 15:49:29 GMT, Dan wrote:

I would like to go all organic this year with my roses. I planted a
"Princess Diana" hybrid tea, and moved two three year old "Veteran's
Honor" hybrid teas to a raised bed that I prepared using about half
existing
black and white clay soil,(yuk),the other half leaves, bagged manure and
compost tilled in. The bed is about 2 feet deep and gets a good 8+ hours
sun a day.
The plan is to foliar feed with
seaweed extract and
compost tea with a bit of garlic mixed in every week during the growing
season. Questions are - Will foliar feeding with these three ingredients
help keep insects and disease under control or is there something else
to add? What organic fertilizer should I use to fertilize the first
time in March,and
after first flush to give them the boost they need?

Dan J.
Zone 7b
Dallas TX

ORGANIC ROSE PROGRAM

Roses should only be grown organically since they are one of the best medicinal
and culinary herbs in the world. When they are loaded with toxic pesticides and
other chemicals, that use is gone, or at least it should be. Drinking rose hip
tea or using rose petals in teas or salads after spraying the plants with
synthetic poisons is a really bad idea. For best results with roses, here's the
program:

SELECTION:
Buy and plant adapted roses such as antiques, David Austins and well-proven
hybrids. The old roses will have the largest and most vitamin C filled hips.
Rosa rugosa roses have the most vitamin C.

PLANTING:
Prepare beds by mixing the following into existing soil to form a raised bed: 6”
compost, ½” lava sand, ½” of decomposed granite, 30 lbs. of wheat/corn/molasses
soil amendment, 20 lbs. of sul-po-mag, per 1,000 sq. ft. Soak the bare roots or
rootball in water with 1 tablespoon of seaweed per gallon. Settle soil around
plants with water - no tamping.

MULCHING:
After planting, cover all the soil in the beds with one inch of compost or
earthworm castings followed by 2-3" of shredded native cedar. Do not pile the
mulch up on the stems of the roses.

WATERING:
If possible, save and use rainwater. If not, add 1 tablespoon of apple cider
vinegar and 1oz liquid humate per gallon of water. If all that fails, just use
tap water but don't over water. Avoid using salty well water.

FEEDING SCHEDULE

Round #1

February 1-15 - organic fertilizer @ 20 lbs./1,000 sq. ft., lava sand at 80
lbs./1,000 sq. ft., and horticultural cornmeal at 10 -20 lbs./1,000 sq. ft.

Round #2

June 1-15 - organic fertilizer @ 20 lbs./1,000 sq. ft, Texas greensand @ 40
lbs./1,000 sq. ft. or soft rock phosphate at 30 lbs./1,000 sq. ft. if in acid
soil areas.

Round #3

September 15-30 - organic fertilizer @ 20 lbs./1,000 sq. ft., sul-po-mag @ 20
lbs./1,000 sq. ft Apply wheat/corn/molasses soil amendment at 30lbs./1,000 sq.
ft.

Foliar Feed with Garrett Juice twice monthly.

I found this at www.dirtdoctor.com

The recipe for Garrett Juice is also on that site, and he is on the radio in
Dallas on Saturday 11a till noon, and Sunday 8a till noon.