Old 16-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Unique Too

Default How to choose (limit) roses?

"Kirra" writes:

Ok, so how does everyone do it? Between three of us sharing a rose garden
2.5m x 6m and another bed of another 22m x (1m-2.5m) we have a *short* list
of 65 different roses! We have listed them all with their colour and type
and are going to try fit as much in as possible. Bu it seems everytime I
flip through a rose book or read some posts here I think, "maybe I should
try a ..."? Aaack!

Kind of like piling on a plate of food at a pitch in dinner isn't it? As the
saying goes, your eyes are bigger than you stomach, only in this case your
roses are bigger than your garden.
Theo has a good point about crowding them together, although I think most of us
try to do the same thing. Only to discover the roses grow! And sometimes they
grow and grow and grow. It is much easier to give them some extra space to
start than have to move them later. Been there, done that (more than once!)
Rather then trying to fit all 65 roses in at one time, pick ~20, of different
types and start with those. You may have to pick the names out of a hat or buy
only those roses on your list that are available at a single supplier or two.
Work with those for a while. If you have some bare spots, put in a few
annuals. Some of the roses that you think you really, really must grow, will
not do well for you. Or you don't like the form, color, scent, etc.
My wish list of roses got rather long, but I knew they would never fit in my
limited space. So I began buying them a few at a time. Now when I look at
that original list, I smile. There are so many on there I no longer even
desire for one reason or another.
Take your time. Be patient. The roses will still be around.