Old 18-06-2003, 03:08 AM
WhiskerFish

Default Water fall & filter design, please comment.

I am not a pond person yet but I do have a link that discusses
building big aquariums out of Plywood that may be very usefull to you.
check it out

http://fp.marksfish.f9.co.uk/plywoodtanks.htm

WF

On 17 Jun 2003 09:09:40 -0700, (John) wrote:

My fellow PORGS:
I am designing my filter for my 6000 gallon's pond, i am thinking
about the following.
1) build a 3x4x5 filter

water in

| |
water out | |
-----------------------|--|
| | |
| Water Hy's | |
| | |
-----------------------|--|
| | |
| filter material | |
| (lava rocks,foams etc| |
| | |
----|---|-----|----|---|--|
| | |racks| | | |
| | |space| | | |---
| | | | | | |---|
valve to flus the waste out
-------------------------

a) using EPDM liner for inside, I am debating concrete bricks
or plywood (outside) with strong Simpson Tie (supported by lots of
rock), has anyone create such a big filter with plywood? will it be
about to hold such volumn?)
b) I will put a 10'' to 1' tall rack on the bottom of the
filter ( for all the dirt debris)
c) make a hole on the botton of the filter, connect it with 1
1/2' PVCS pipe, end it with a valve, (to clean the filter,flush out
the waste )
d) put some iron mesh on top of the rack
e) put lava rock & filter material on top of the rack
f) put water hynache on the very top
g) install a 4' pipe from top done to the bottom of of the
filter with some open on the bottom, running my 1 1/2' pipe(from the
pump) inside the 4' pipe.

2) the clean water will flow out of the filter to 2 fall's (1' per
fall)
3) the water will flow to a 10'x4'x(1-2)' veggie filter. again, I
am debating using concreate block or plywood to build this
3) the water will flow from the veggie filter to the pond
Please comment
Thanks for any input, ideas.
John