Old 18-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Greg G.

Default #@%$ Algae - I'm going to turn my tank into a bird cage.

On 18 Jun 2003 09:43:51 -0700,
) wrote:

massive snippage interspersed

Thanks for the expert input. The fertilizer schedule seems to be what
I'm looking for at the moment..

I agree with Ron, CO2 is very critical. DIY CO2 folks often report the
lion's share of the algae problems.

I monitor the CO2 twice a day, it never falls below ~21ppm:

kH of 4.5
pH of 6.8 to 6.6, depending on the age of the mix.
(~21-34 ppm)

I built a 22" columnar diffuser powered by a small AS Mini-Jet 600.
None of the generated CO2 goes to waste. It is trapped until
diffused. Until this, I could not keep the CO2 levels high enough.
Now I have to intermittently run an air stone to throw off excess when
the CO2 mix is at it's peak. That is why I have neglected to consider
tanked CO2. This has been working fine. Also, the moderate light
levels seemed to negate the expense of elaborate CO2 systems.
(And I'm cheap... ;-) )

I even add small amounts to Club Soda to the change water to maintain
this pH absolutely.

Sure, grow the plants well.

They grow, but perhaps not fast enough.
The water sprite grows a new 'frond' almost every day...
And the next day, it has algae growing from it.

I remove a large quantity of plant growth with each cleaning and toss
it away as there is no room for it in the tank. The chain sword has
new runners spreading everywhere.

Tap water is fine assuming this GH/KH are the same.

I amend the tap water as mentioned to bring up the hardness. And add
small amounts of Club Soda to bring the pH to the desired level.

I started this planted tank because I thought it would be simpler than
a reef tank. HA! That has NOT been my experience...

It's different. I think SW tends to easier but it cost more. Reef's
are critter based, this plant based.

Actually (not to be argumentative), I kept a number of Red and Green
Calpera sp and Hallimedia that grew quite well. You can see them
he

http://videodoc.home.mindspring.com/preefs1.htm

This is probably the meat I was looking for...

1/2 teaspoon K2SO4
1/2 teaspoon KNO3
1/16-1/8 teaspoon KH2PO4
15mls of Flourish

Add 4 days later:
1/2 teaspoon KNO3
1/16th KH2PO4
15mls Flourish

I am having trouble locating chemicals of this nature.

I can't find anyone who will sell the KNO3 because of it's oxidation
properties (used in explosives). I hear that stump remover contains
this, but... what else does it contain?

Do you know of a source in the US that will sell these chemicals in
small quantities? Or do you know of common workarounds?

KNO3 - Potassium Nitrate?
K2SO4 - Potassium Sulphate?
KH2PO4 - Potassium Phosphate?

(I'm no chemist...)

This will allow you to have a good range of nutrient concentrations
since you are dosing regularly but no excess since you do weekly 50%
water changes.

Well... actually, I was hoping to eventually avoid such massive water
changes. ;-) Is this possible once things get going?

Regards,
Tom Barr

Thanks again for the advice.

Greg