Old 18-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Alex R

Default AP's "Algae-Destroyer " and plants

"Andrey Tarasevich" wrote in message
Hello

According to the user's guides included with almost any algae-fighting
product on the market, it should not be used in planted tanks. However,
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals "Algae-Destroyer"'s is an exception: its label

does
not say anything of that nature. Moreover, 'faq.thekrib.com' says that it
can be used to fight beard algae, which, according to the site, grows on
plant's leaves (see http://faq.thekrib.com/algae.html#beard). Does that

mean
that AP's "Algae-Destroyer" can be successfully used in a planted tank?

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich

I doubt you can use this product in a planted tank, at least not in the long
term. Even if it does kill your algae and not your plants, the algae will
come back as soon as you stop using it if you don't improve the conditions
for your plants. So you're going to have to keep using it until eventually
your plants will die. Algae is a plant also. Further, I have never heard of
anyone being successful with an algae-cide product in a planted tank. I
think what it does is prevent algae from growing, not kill it, if it works
at all.

To control algae, you need to optimize your plant growth using whatever it
takes... more CO2, more macro- and micro-nutrients, etc. Your algae is
growing because there is something limiting your plants. Keep all nutrients
in abundance, and your algae will stop spreading and you'll eventually get
rid of it through pruning of old plants.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com