Old 18-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Greg G.

Default #@%$ Algae - I'm going to turn my tank into a bird cage.

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:24:27 -0600, "Ron Nelson"
wrote:

I am having trouble locating chemicals of this nature.

I found 2 pounds of lab grade KNO3 on Ebay fairly cheap and I had no
problems recieving it via UPS...
I've been using "NO SALT" from the grocery store as a source of potassium...
And for phosphates I use Fleet enema also from the grocery store...
ymmv but these are working ok in my 75.

Wow! Although it's been a while since I used eBay, I did a search and
found just what I was looking for. I never would have thought of
going to eBay for chemicals. Found 2 lbs. of Pharm. Grade KNO3 for
$6.00. Sold! Thanks for the refresher...
I'll check out the local Kroger for the other stuff.

Well... actually, I was hoping to eventually avoid such massive water
changes. ;-) Is this possible once things get going?

Everything I have read indicates that the large water changes are nesasary
to maintain the balance and replenish some of the trace elements etc...

Ugghh... I was afraid of that...

I did a nitrate test with a Hagen kit and came up with 0mg/L.
I guess it should be somewhere around 10-20mg/L for optimal growth?
Balanced out, of course, with the other nutrients. Got any idea what
levels they should be at? Not that I can measure them accurately...

Thanks again,
Greg