Old 19-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Tim Tompkins

Default making soil less alkaline

Chelated iron is simply 'available' it doesn't do much to
change the pH of the soil. Various nutrients change their chemical bonds
when the pH of the soil is either too acid or too alkaline, chelating iron
prevents it from forming the undesired bonds and allows it to be taken up by
the plant.
The yellow veining in the foliage is one of the first symptoms of an
incorrect pH in the soil.

When raw organic matter is added to the soil it will consume a gread deal of
nirotgen during its decomposition, this is why organic material should be
'well rotted', to prevent nitrogen depletion.

Tim

"Daniel Hanna" wrote in message
home.com.au...
In m david robery
wrote:
can anyone give me some hints to help make my soil more acidic.

Add some chelated iron powder. Fertilising with fowl manure also helps.