Old 19-06-2003, 06:22 AM
Andrey Tarasevich

Default AP's "Algae-Destroyer " and plants

wrote:

According to the user's guides included with almost any algae-fighting
product on the market, it should not be used in planted tanks. However,
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals "Algae-Destroyer"'s is an exception: its label does
not say anything of that nature. Moreover, 'faq.thekrib.com' says that it
can be used to fight beard algae, which, according to the site, grows on
plant's leaves (see
http://faq.thekrib.com/algae.html#beard). Does that mean
that AP's "Algae-Destroyer" can be successfully used in a planted tank?

Is your goal to grow nice healthy plants?
Focus on that, not killing algae.

My question is not about what I have to focus on. I know prefectly well what I
need to do in order to keep my plants healty. I have no algae problem in my tank
and I have abosolutely no intent to use any algae killing substances in the
tank. I asked the question out of pure curiosuty, since I was surprised by the
fact that the aformentioned product's package bears no warnings about using it
in a planted tank. Moreover, a respected aquarium site seems to suggest the use
of this product in a planted tank.

FYI, about every 2-6months someone on some board list etc post
something along the lines you have about an algicide/cure etc.
But poor plant growth the main cause for algae so unless it addresses
that basic tenent, the product will not help.

Yes, I noticed that. Unfortunately, every time someone asks someting like that,
the tiny bits of relevant information are accompanied and drowned by a huge wave
of irrelevant advice.

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich