Old 19-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Chris Norton

Default Potatoes - That Eureka Moment!

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:56:26 +0100, "Martin Richards"
wrote:

"Rick McGreal" wrote
Is it just me or do they taste SO MUCH better when you have grown them
yourself?! B-)

They certainly taste better than shop bought even when a friend's dad has
grown them rather than yourself ;-) Said friend's kids had raided grandad's
allotment on the way down to us, so arrived burdened with wonderful
potatoes, and what was for me a new experience, freshly picked garlic. I'd
had home grown spuds before, but the garlic is something else...

Martin

Wait till you try peas. I`ve had em from Tesco`s and never thought
they tasted as good as when I used to crawl over to next doors and
pick em off the plant. Ok I`d read about how frozen peas are done in
an hour from picking to frozen but why I never understood.

THEN, I got into veggie gardening and read about the sugers turning to
starch in peas and sweetcorn (another fave of mine).

I`ve not managed to get any peas in this year but next year I`m gonna
have a bed down the allotment all to myself and I can guarentee that
not ONE pod will get 5 mins down the road to the house.

I can almost taste em!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweetcorn I do have a few in so I`ll be cutting and then biking down
the road to a boiling pan of water

I`m trying some garlic from some old cloves I had so I`ll give that a
whirl sometime too.