Old 20-06-2003, 02:44 AM
The Madd Hatter

Default My pond just had its first Algae Bloom! what do I do?????

Both of these seem doable for the short term. What would you suggest
as a natural combatant for the long term? If I cover 80% of the
surface with floaters like duck weed and water hyacinth, and some
lilies, would this gradually reduce the algae levels? I don't have
the budget to do anything expensive like put a UV clarifier etc in.

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:30:02 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

For a special occasion you can use the 95%-100% water change method the day
of the festivities, but you will get the full algae bloom within a couple of
weeks after that. Just be sure to use plenty of dechlor, and add water
slowly to keep from shocking the fish with a temperature difference. You
can also use a polymeric water clarifier (Crystal Clear, ProClear,
Accu-Clear) that will flocculate the algae, making it easier for the filter
to trap it. They are relatively inexpensive, and have the same drawback of
algae bloom later.