Old 20-06-2003, 04:44 AM
The Madd Hatter

Default My pond just had its first Algae Bloom! what do I do?????

That would be the best solution, I think... With what I'm doing in the
pond, clarity is not really imperative, though it would be nice... I'm
planning to use it as a breeding pond or grow out pond for cichlids,
which don't really show that well anyway... I had originally put the
goldfish in there just to cycle the water, about a month after I
filled it... I had thought I'd be putting fairly large, full grown New
World cichlids in, so I figured the goldfish would just become a meal
at that point... Now I've decided to stick to smaller species... I
have a pair of firemouths in there (i think, since I can't see
them...), and I had put a few neolamprologous brichardi in there that
were wreaking havoc in my tanks by breeding and killing everything
around them,.. I think only two of the 7 survived the drop in
temperature though... I also have a sunfish that I caught at a local
lake, and for some reason tossed in there.... I might just take the
sunfish, and firemouths out and use the pond to grow out my ever
increasing brood of african cichlids in it... I have roughly 250 of
them, ranging from 0.5" to 1", and from 5 species.. I have 5 females
holding right now that will probably saddle me with another 200 all
together, if they carry their normal spawns. I'll put the ones I have
right now outside to grow out, and use the tank space for the ones
that are on thier way.. Most of them are Mbuna from Lake Malawi, which
are primarily algae grazers in the wild.. (Might be part of the
solution here!!)

I think a month or so should be enough to get them all to around 2.5"
to 3" in size...At which point I can cash in to the money train,
retire, and move to New Zealand to raise sheep..... (Lemme just hang
on to that one for a while!)

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 02:27:33 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

Lots of plants. Hyacinths, lettuce, iris are good feeders on the same stuff
that the algae needs. The main cure for algae, IMO is patience.
Unfortunately, most of us really lack in that department, and the quick
fixes work for a day or a week and then it is back. Might as well just wait
it out.