Old 04-03-2003, 07:42 PM
John

Default To kill a pine tree...

Just tell them you're putting an underground swimming pool in. Dig a hole to
take out the roots. Add a little salt. Say, "Well, it's going to be more
expensive than I thought to build a swimming pool." Fill the hole in, and
wait for it to die.

"Bart" wrote in message

Tim Fischer wrote in message
"Bart" wrote in message
m...
Let's make you the owner of this tree.

So, which would you prefer, Tim? Would you like me to sue you for all

the
damage your tree is doing to my property,

Sure. I'd like to see the judge that awards "damages" due to tree roots

in
your lawn.

How about a crack in the foundation of the house? How about roof damage
from the sap? How about a destroyed sprinkler system?

or would you rather let me pay to
have it removed?

No way, unless you want to give me thousands of dollars in addition to
compensate for the loss of value to my home, and my loss of enjoyment of

the
tree.

pfft... a different kind of tree could provide as much - with far less
damage to my property.

It is going to be gone, eventually.

Sure -- in a few hundred years, hopefully.

Wood bores and other insects will take it out sooner than that. One
lightning strike could have it falling on my house and killing someone.
I've already had to break off some dead branches.

I feel I have a
perfect legal right to destroy the roots that are in my yard.

NO. Read up on this you are incorrect. This is the same subject as

tree
limbs overhanging your property -- you can't remove them if it would

have
any chance of killing the tree. Removing roots to any significant

degree
would certainly kill the tree.

oops...

Are you one
of those tree huggers?

Absolutely not. But I don't see the need to remove a valuable tree just
because there's a few roots in the hard. Doesn't this tree provide ANY
benefits to you? Beauty? Shade? Windbreak? Most people LIKE trees

in/near
their yard.

Nope. No benefit at all. Most folks in the neighborhood have removed

their
giant pines because of lightening fears and liability problems.

Bart