Old 21-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Wacko!

Default better luck next year?

PH is only part of the picture. If you are going to dedicate a season to
do soil improvement, get a soil test to see what the soil needs for NPK. A
test will also give you a confirmation on the PH you believe you have. Then
you will know what organics to add to boost as needed.

Structure can be built with organics such as leaves, compost or manure, etc.
They are all great in their own way. Add them all if you like. Leaves can
change pH when used heavily. There are other amendments as well. Seaweed
has a lot of minerals. Greensand, bone meal, etc - the list gets pretty
long.

Once you do the above amendments, consider a basic cover crop such as
buckwheat to keep the weeds down. This can be tilled under later and add
even more structure.

Cya! Wacko!

"JohnDKestell" wrote in message
the soil pH is great (just a little alkaline), the structure isn't too

bad, the
drainage isn't great but not terrible either. I think maybe I just need

build up the structure for next year. and get an earilier start! just
thinking about next spring, and some fall garden preparation for it.

do I just "bomb" it with all I have? Will it cool off over the winter?

build
up some soil? I only ask because my last garden was inherited from the
previous owner--and it had been a cattle pasture for maybe 100 years, so

the
soil was excellent to begin with. Black, crumbly earth. My new garden is

little sandy, and needs to get on some steroids. It's come to my

attention
that my garden is a filled in inground swimming pool. how do I cheat time

and
get some dark black soil of my own?

thanks
john