Old 05-03-2003, 03:27 AM
linda mar

Default How zealous are Ottos?

Hi,

I'm sure there are others who are more experienced than I who can give you
more perspective.. but I have 4 otos, and as you pointed out, they have done
a remarkable job in getting most of the algae off of the tank, tank
accessories and broad-leaved plants. I have few foxtails, and they
accumulate algae, but they do not seem to do anything with it...

I have a feeling the plant (or whatever they're eating off of) needs to have
some surface area for them to nibble... so at least, my otos are not
interested in tackling the fine-leaved plants. they do seem to eat algae
off of lysmachia, which has a small button-sized leaves, and most crypts...

linda

"dGH" wrote in message
.. .
My tank was literally infested with brown algae. I bought 5 ottos to take
care of the problem, and they have done a remarkable job over the past 5
days. The glass is now almost spotless, but fine leafed plants such as
hornwort and java moss are still very much covered with brown algae. Both
plants are actually growing wonderfully, especially the java moss.

In your experiences, will the ottos move on to clean up the moss and
hornwort or are they likely to go for the discus slime soon. I've got the
zuccini ready for them, but don't want to introduce it too soon as I'd
prefer them to clean up the 2 plants mentioned. I definitely want to keep
these little guys happy, as they have been a great asset to me. I just
don't know how far they'll go to eat brown algae (their preferred food?).

Any advice or tales of experience would be appreciated.