Old 05-03-2003, 03:39 AM
Tony

Default Dealing with bright tanks

Hi again,

My intention is to create a tread with experiences with high light
tanks. I wanted to see how many people have actually tried to grow
plants that require high light. From my limited experience, it has
been interesting. I don't expect to solve all m problems in one
thread. Instead, I thought it would be an interesting discussion for
this group.

For example, I ran a blue light for the first 3 months of my 46 gallon
tank. I have 2 96 watt compact florescent bulbs. My LFS guy told me
to use one white bulb and a blue bulb? Have you ever seen the kind of
algae that grows under bright blue light? I looked at a lot of web
pages and pictures of algae, but I have never seen anything quite like
what was growing in my tank. I would strongly recommend against
anyone else trying this experiment. My tank first when through
intense green water which I cleared up with a big UV sterilizer. The
water was so green I couldn't see 2 inches into the tank. It was like
my fish would suddenly appear from a fog when they got close to the
glass. Then the wierd algae started growing. It is dark green/blue
and very slimy, in the middle it was white. Since I changed out the
blue blub with a white bulb it has almost completely disappeared.

I'm sure that other people out there have some good stories, growing
plants with high lights isn't that easy and I'm sure a lot can go
wrong. I also figured it could be a good tread that people could read
to avoid making big mistakes.

Later,
Tony

(Tony) wrote in message . com...
I wanted to start a discussion regarding tanks that have a lot of
light, at least 3-4 watts per gallon (wgp). I have two such tanks and
have had a lot of problems. What are other people's experiences with
tanks that have a lot of light. What problems have people had with
bright tanks or high light tanks? What are some of the benfits that
people have experienced with bright tanks? How have people dealt with
algae? Any other experiences that you'd like to share?