Old 23-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Dover Publications - Tree books

Lynn & Jim: Dover Publications was founded by a former
neighbor of mine,
Hayward Cirker. He died about 2 years ago. When he went into

the
publishing business, he knew absolutely nothing about it,

except that he
wanted to publish material that nobody else wanted to touch.

His bet paid
off big time because he had the field all to himself. His

widow, Blanche,
still runs the firm.
Marty

I've known about Dover Publications for a long time. My father,
who collected incunabula (OLD, OLD, OLD books and writing), old
hand-made paper, and other literary antiquities, would always
query Dover when he acquired a "new" item to see if the publisher
had a reprint of the -- often unreadable or too fragile to
read -- text in question. On a startlingly large number of
occasions, they did. We always had Dover catalogs around the
house, and I still have several of their folklore books from my
old days as a folkie singing the folk festival circuit.

I'd never been to the website, though, so I spent a while there
yesterday. They have a large number of Japan-related
publications: a classic book on Japanese gardens that I'm going
to buy, a book that I'm also going to get on woodblock prints, a
couple of CDs with clip art of Japanese heraldry and other
Japanese designs, etc. that I may or may not get.

For those of you that grow other things than bonsai there is a
very large gardening section; naturalists have an even larger
palate to choose from (some of it cited yesterday), and the art
catalog seems almost limitless. There's a big section on
Oriental religions (and other religious pathways, as well). I
can see that I'm going to be a bit poorer for a while as I sort
through it all.

All in all, there seemed to be something for most every (legal)
taste.

www.doverpublications.com

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who just
sent his son a Dover E-birthday card

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++