Old 25-06-2003, 12:21 AM
Anne Lurie

Default red spots on JFK

Aha!

Thanks to the links that Henry posted, I see now that I was ahead of the
game, so to speak, when I cut off the flowers from my incredibly lanky
mystery rose (okay, my *other* mystery rose!) -- the flowers seemed
nondescript anyway, not-quite-white nor any noticeable color ("subtle" would
be incredibly generous, IMHO).

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Henry" wrote in message
Heidi Stump wrote:
Hi all,

I am new to this newsgroup...and to growing roses! My husband and I
recently adopted 2 JFK HT's from a quality local nursery. We planted
them, in a nice bed w/ hummus, good dirt, oscal, etc... After a week in
their new home our rose buds are opening with red spots on the petals.
Can anyone tell me what this is? Is this due to the record amount of
rain we have received in NC, or a lack/excess of nutrients? Is this
indicative of disease or pests?

It's been particularly bad this year for those of us on the east coast
and yes, the rain plays a big part. The spots are caused by a fungus
called botrytis cinerea. You should remove the infected portions of the
plant and destroy them. Application of fungicide will help prevent
further attacks but will do nothing for already-damaged tissue.

I take heart from the fact that these two pictures were taken at the
rose garden at the National Arboretum this spring. If they have
botrytis, I don't feel so bad that I do, too.

http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/...l/img_2310.jpg
http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/...l/img_2312.jpg

--
Henry