Old 25-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Cass

Default Deadheading Mutabilis!

In article m, Shiva
wrote:
Cass wrote:

Cass, do you deadhead this rose? You had mentioned that it pretty much
had just one bloom at a time--and mine did last year in its first
year. But this year it is staying full, and very pretty.

Yes, once I figured out that it sets a lot of hips if you don't.

They're cute, aren't they? But deadheading is a damned near daily
activity when Mutabilis is going strong. I figure this rose makes so
many little blooms, I could leave half of them on and see if the hips
are pretty in the winter!

They're pretty but not as conspicuous as you'd think. I just snap off
the spent blooms. Too much work to use pruners.

It does, however, blackspot. I think Alice said it didn't, or was
resistant. At this point in time, due to the rain and my own
work-related neglect, "resistant" equals "has a leaf or two."

Mine blackspots, too. I've looked at it and think the blackspot is a
function of new growth. Wherever the plant sends out new growth, it
kills off the foliage between the new growth and the old bloom as well
as the leaf set of the bud that sprouted. All that foliage spots before
it drops. Defoliation isn't a problem here, tho. The little plant in a
5 gallon is growing so fast there's a considerable amount of foliage
being killed off. My potted roses spot more than those in the ground
anyway.