Old 26-06-2003, 12:09 AM
Torsten Brinch

Default RR Wheat - but who wants it? (was GM German Wheat Trials...)

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 03:15:09 -0500, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:

After a perfect year for wild oats in western Oklahoma Round Up Ready wheat
would find a place if it could be sold. Depending on custom cutter and
bigger combines have scattered wild oats every where and normal cultural
practices in wheat won't control them.

But you have Puma available to deal with wild oats in the growing
crop, haven't you?

It takes a long time in a summer crop
to get rid of the seed and only a year or two to get it back from the
ditches, combines and birds. Combines being the worst vector.

In my farming it isn't a problem as land is only in wheat as cover or
transition between crops for the most part. Neither wheat or cattle are
worth enough to make it interesting.

Gordon
"Dean Ronn" @home wrote in message
Even if Monsanto does manage to get a registration on this wheat,

there's
no danger of any producers wanting to grow this stuff. I retail farm
supplies here in Saskatchewan, and also buy grain, as I manage a grain
elevator. 96% of the canola seed that I sell is R.R. Absolutely none of my
customers are interested in R.R. wheat. The primary reason for this is
because we have sufficient in crop pesticides to handle the weed spectrum

in
a wheat crop. That, and having some great Red Spring Wheat varieties has

put
the kaybosh to this technology before it has gotten off of the ground.

Dean

"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message
GM wheat in Canada not an option, says Canadian Wheat Board

--------------

WINNIPEG - Adrian Measner, president and chief executive of the
Canadian Wheat Board, was cited as telling Reuters yesterday that the
group may consider legal action to stop Monsanto Co. from growing
genetically modified wheat in Canada outside limited government-run
trials, adding, "We've given strong assurances to our customers that
we will make sure this situation is resolved in Canada and we intend
to take whatever action necessary to do that."

The story says it is the strongest statement the board has made to
date on how far it will go to prevent GM wheat from being grown in the
near future in Canada -- and one Mr. Measner plans to repeat to world
wheat traders at an International Grains Council meeting in London
next week.

Mr. Measner was further quoted as saying, "Having it grown in Canada,
it's not an option. The costs are just too horrendous and it needs to
be addressed."

The CWB asked Monsanto to agree by tomorrow to withdraw its
application. It has not yet formally responded, he said.

Monsanto has promised it will not commercialize the wheat until at
least some customers accept it and until it can be dealt with
separately within the bulk grain handling system.