Old 26-06-2003, 02:21 PM
laurentsx

Default Career to facilitate homesteading

Hey Rottcod,

First of al you might do a search at http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/ they
have several topics on education for (to be) homesteaders and jobs in rural
areas.

I would advise not to chose your education becourse you want te be an
homesteader, chose a profession you like (and are good at). How about
teaching (english) in a small town? You could do an job-ad search to find
out what kind of jobs are avaleble in small-towns.

As you have your education, learn as much as you can about gardening, animal
keeping and the like. Start a little garden, take a course in EHBO,
car-mechanics, and the like. Remember most of us (ah well not me i live in
one of the most dense populated parts of the world ) will homestead for a
hobby en never reach tru independence.

Also start writing down why you want a homestead, what you want to use it
for, what your goals are, what you need on the land (water, pasture land,
ect.). Also start looking at the different parts of canada where you would
like to live and how the climate and the like are, and what that means for
your dreams.

"Rottcod" schreef in bericht
om...
I'm a 21 yr old living in Toronto, Canada. It's my goal to acquire an
isolated homestead far from the city ASAP.

In the meantime, I need to choose a profession which could be
practiced in farms and small towns. I abandoned by longtime plan of
majoring in english , and am thinking of a "heavy equipment
mechanic" programme. I'm told this includes farming and logging
machinery.
I need suggestions from those who live my dream.

(I can't afford an expensive programme which takes years of study like
veterinary medicine)