Old 26-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Shiva

Default Deadheading Mutabilis!

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:24:35 -0700, Cass
wrote:

They're pretty but not as conspicuous as you'd think. I just snap off
the spent blooms. Too much work to use pruners.

Me too. Plus, there are usually buds among the spent blooms that
pruners would cut off.

Mine blackspots, too. I've looked at it and think the blackspot is a
function of new growth.

OMG what a sinister thought!

Wherever the plant sends out new growth, it
kills off the foliage between the new growth and the old bloom as well
as the leaf set of the bud that sprouted. All that foliage spots before
it drops. Defoliation isn't a problem here, tho.

Cass how can that be? If anyone has bs bad enough, the plant drops all
its leaves? Or do you just mean on Mutabilis? Mine has not
defoliated--it has too many leaves. Just the HTs and GFs and FBs are
doing that. Big time. The babies look the worst. I'm getting out there
Sunday to spray no matter what. But then, I think it is supposed to
RAIN Sunday! Grrr ....

The little plant in a
5 gallon is growing so fast there's a considerable amount of foliage
being killed off.

This is the weirdest concept. I'm going to have to think about this
one. I'll now be looking sideways at my Mutabilis!