Old 07-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Pam

Default Planting roses in biodegradable pots?

Polar wrote:

Just bought two new "bare-root" roses -- though many in that
huge display were already leafing out (So Calif)

For the last few years, nursery has been selling the bare
roots in biodegradable pots-- looks like some kind of cardboard? or?

One is supposed to plant the whole thing & it will
degrade/dissolve/disappear/whatever.

For some reason, I'm suspicious of these, and last year I
removed the pot and proceeded with normal planting.

Nursery guy said he has tried both ways with equal results.

Anybody have opinions/experience in my zone?

Not exactly your zone, but those fibre pots are extremely biodegradable.
We use them constantly in our nursery and they seldom make it through
the season before the bottom falls out. One of the reasons roses (out of
dormancy) are sold in them is that roses in leaf can easily get
transplant shock - if you plant the entire pot, then there is little
chance of shock. I suggest making a few slashes in the sides and bottom
in case the roots attempt to spread before the fibre gives way. This is
unlikely to be much of a problem with your roses, since they were bare
root only weeks ago before potting up and the root system has not filled
the pot. Be sure to cut off the top of the pot which may show above the
soil level - it can wick water out of the soil and deprive the plant of
sufficient moisture.

pam - gardengal
PNW zone 8

Polar