Old 06-03-2003, 04:39 AM
Tony

Default Dealing with bright tanks

tose (LeighMo) wrote in message ...
I heard this can do weird things to the nutrients in your tanks and can
retard algae growth?
has anyone hooked up a steralizer to a planted tank and had success?

Me. I've had a UV sterilizer on my tank almost from the beginning.

I've been using one as well. I supplement my tanks with Seachem
Flourish every other day. I'm not too worried about it removing too
much iron as I have Laterite in the substrate. I used it for about a
month and the water became very clear. Then I turned it off for a
month, there wasn't much change in the water color. I'd say the water
was very good, just not as polished. I turned it back on two weeks
ago because I got quite a few new plants. I figured I would use it to
kill any Ich that might have been on the plants. Since then the water
has become slightly more polished. In the long term, I probably won't
use it unless I have to. I like the idea of getting my tank balanced.

Tony