Old 27-06-2003, 08:27 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Default Which winter veg to grow?

I think you mean what can you do in the winter rather than what you can put
in now for the winter. I dig over any unused ground and in some places add
manure to the surface for the worms to take it down. Manure raspberry canes
and other fruit such as blackcurrants at some time over the winter. In late
winter or early spring add a general fertiliser to the ground. Prepare your
trellises for runner beans, sweet peas etc., by digging out trenches and
filling with manure or compost. Where I live I sow broad beans in November
or December but I'm not sure if you can get away with that in Huddersfield.
Where you are too sow parsnips and carrots don't put any manure. I have
found that lime helps to prevent canker on parsnips. For crops that can be
growing into the winter you can have cabbages (January King is our
favourite), curly greens, purple sprouting broccoli, over-wintering onions,
garlic, parsnips, leeks. Too late to put sprouts in now I think

encoderX wrote:
: Hi
: I'm asking for a relative who has a large(ish) allotment. He would
: like to know what can be done in winter on the allotment eg:
: preperation, which veg to plant and which veg to plant that will grow
: over the winter. We live in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.
: Any websites on this specific time of year would be great I've
: googled but not found much tbh, either that or I'm missing something.
:
: Thankyou in advance for any help
:
: Anthony
: http://encoderX.co.uk
: Part of the Fedz Network - http://Fedz.co.uk
: 10 FREE UK sms per day @ http://www.118.com/

Robert South West England The Flag of Devon