Old 27-06-2003, 08:28 PM
zookeeper

Default Pixie Dust/Duck Weed/Azolla/Pond Scum

BenignVanilla wrote:
All names I have heard for a small plant that has about a 2 inch root, and
2-3 1/8 inch leaves. My bro in law gave me a ton of it. I like the look, but
wonder if it is a bad idea or good idea. The fish seem to love it, nibbling
on the roots.

If it has multi-lobed leaves that look fuzzy, that is azolla or water
fern. Our koi will mouth azolla, but they do not eat it. If it gets in
their mouths when they're sucking in food, they chew the food, but spit
out the azolla. Azolla is very pretty and usually survives the winter.
Since your pond have a bottom drain, azolla might be a good water cover
in your pond (helps shield sun so you gon't get too much "green water").
If a pond doesn't have a bottom drain, you'll find the azolla creates a
lot of debris; the roots seems to break off easily and form dense "mats"
of fiber at the pond bottom or in your filter.
--
Kathy B
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies