Old 28-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Odd Rasberry Problem

Chester Deja said:

I have Red Latham - 2nd year which should mean I am getting fruit.
The only thing I got was hundreds of 1 to 5 'kernal' berries - really
strane looking to see a rasberry with only one kernal. Not sure why
the berries did not fully fruit.

Poor pollination.

The only thing I noticed was that
during pollination time there were dozens of huge bees (not honey bees
- never seen this kind before) on the flowers. I thought they were
doing good but I suspect that they harvested all the pollen thus I
have no berries.

Huge and black? May have been carpenter bees. Huge and 'honeybee'
colored? May have been bee-imitating flies. Not the most effective pollinators
of raspberries. (I have been lucky to have had honeybees working my plants.)

Poor pollination can result even with plentiful bee visits if the relaltive humidity
is too dry. Too much rain during the flowering period is a problem as it limits
the number of bee visits.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)