Old 29-06-2003, 07:32 PM
John Rutz

Default my first pond and other first pond

Scott Vande Krol wrote:
Well, I finished digging out the veggie filter yesterday. It ended up being
9x5x2, and I think that I am going to lose the creek going into it, at least
for now.

Everything I have read (there is an article in Water Gardening magazine)
says to put a pipe matrix in the bottom, and then cover that with a
landscape liner (I was going to use some of my underliner) and then cover
that with gravel. Then place the plants straight in the grave.

I guess I understand why this may be difficult, though. If I don't clean
the gravel, it would tend to clog up, and put more resistance on the outlet
of the pump, causing there to be less and less flow?

If I don't use gravel, though what do I use instead? Just lose the pipe
matrix and put dirt in there?

I have my bigger plants in the veggie filter just sitting on thier root
mass, the smaller ones are in pots with either pea gravel or Kittie
litter till they get big enough to depot

once a year or every two years depending on builup I drain the veggie
filter and clean out the dirt/dietrus and put in on my gardens

for a visual see my website below the project 2003 pics have my pipes
layout shown but basicaly I have one pipe on one side of the pond just
emptying into the filter and another on the other side that goes
through a 150 gal stock tank to create a waterfall from there the
water just distributes itself through the veggie filter and then back
into the Koi pond
BTW the veggie filter is aprox 25x30 ft and one ft deep

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com