Old 29-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default my first pond and other first pond

Scott Vande Krol wrote:
Well, I finished digging out the veggie filter yesterday. It ended up being
9x5x2, and I think that I am going to lose the creek going into it, at least
for now.

Everything I have read (there is an article in Water Gardening magazine)
says to put a pipe matrix in the bottom, and then cover that with a
landscape liner (I was going to use some of my underliner) and then cover
that with gravel. Then place the plants straight in the grave.

I guess I understand why this may be difficult, though. If I don't clean
the gravel, it would tend to clog up, and put more resistance on the outlet
of the pump, causing there to be less and less flow?

If I don't use gravel, though what do I use instead? Just lose the pipe
matrix and put dirt in there?

No dirt! My plants start in slotted baskets. When the
roots develop the plants are just in the water - not rocks
no soil - just water and plants. The roots systems will
support the plants.
--
Bonnie
NJ