Old 29-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Mike Stevenson

Default Tomatoe Pruning

Your particular breed of tomato could have a good deal to do with this as
well. Some types of tomatoes prefer higher or lower daytime and nighttime
temperatures. Some generally do not produce very many tomatoes, while others
(particularly hybrids) will produce many many tomatoes. Rainfall and your
watering habits can affect output. Also the question of fertilizer is a
serious one. Too much fertilizer or even organics (manure, compost, etc.)
can provide too much nitrogen to your plants causing them to use much of
thier energies toward foilage growth. Many sources in fact recommend AGAINST
using manure or compost with tomatoes. A serious lack of calcium in the
soil can retard plant development, too much sodium can have the same effect.
Too like phosphorus can cause poor root development which can definately
affect fruit development. If you have poor flowering than magnisium could be
a problem as this is crucial to flowering in many plants, including
tomatoes. If the area you live in recieves large amounts of rain annually,
over 1 meter, the nutrients I mentioned above can be leeched from your soil.
Traditional fertilizers do not replenish these either. Calcium is highly
reactive in some mixtures and so cannot be packed into your standard NPK
fertilizers. Magnesium salts are sold that can be mixed and sprayed on your
plants to replenish this and encourage flowering (and thus more tomatoes).

I am sure tomatoes can do well anywhere when properly tended. However its
important to consider that the conditions in your garden are going to vary
from those of your neighbors, sometimes just a bit, sometimes considerably.
The other plants in your garden, certain trees (black walnut in particular)
can affect the health of plants near them.

All these things, and many I have not mentioned, and many others have can be
factors. Consider these. Test your soil, be sure its not TOO fertile, or
that it is fertile enough. Also consider your expectations. You say you get
poor crops but do not give figures. You may feel your getting poor crops by
are simply not be aware of the true output of your plants.

As to pruning, that is an age old argument. Its not NECCESARY to prune
tomatoes to recieve ample crops. Some choose to do it due to space and other
considerations, are simply out of habit. Others do not. I personally would
not prune unless I was having issues with space, or my plants were
particularly unruly. I know those that do prune who have results similar to
mine without pruning. So mostly I would say its a matter of choice,
convienience and practicality.

"Richard" wrote in message
om...
I have never pruned tomatoes but equally never get very good crops.
Can someone give me detailed information on what is best. I am in
Berkshire, UK