Old 30-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Poe Lim

Default if you don't have plants....

Can't you change to one of the screw-in compact fluro bulbs? That way you
can save some power. That's probably why you don't get algae with plants; I
suspect everyone thought you have 4W/g of fluorescent light! Why don't you
just keep to Cabomba, but cut them off when they get too tall, and replant
the top bits, discarding the lower bits. Certainly things like Java fern
(they seem to do well in any tank, in my low light w/o CO2, and with my
higher light with CO2) will do well in your tank.

Cheers,
Poe

"Cammie" wrote in message
I think lines got cross a little. I DON'T have algae with the live

plants,
I have zero algae in my tank, no need for plecos and algae eaters. It's
just that after 2-3 months and the plants get real sparse and shabby
looking. I don't do the CO2 thing (not even sure what that is and if I

want
to get into it) but I have very good filtration, water flow, and my
parameters are perfect. I also do have Flourish nutrient in the water I

top
the tank off with.

I like Cabomba, they keep growing for me, but I wish they would keep

looking
nice like when I first get them. I just wondered if this was typical of
Cabomba.

Also, my three tanks are only 10 gallons each and the lighting, well don't
laugh... the lighting I have is only incandelescent and I can't change

that
unless I get all new tanks. The tanks were the Eclipse style with the

hood
and tank combo (but not Eclispse, some off brand of a similar style).

So,
do you think the incandelescent lighting is why the plants don't do as

well,
or is that not an issue?

My other question was if it was possible to maintain a tank with zero

algae
with fake plants or decorations too, and how one could manage that. With
artificial things I always have an algae farm. In one of my smaller tanks

would just like to have some rock, driftwood and coral pieces, but algae
forms on this stuff and looks aweful.