Old 30-06-2003, 04:08 AM
LeighMo

Default if you don't have plants....

Also, my three tanks are only 10 gallons each and the lighting, well don't
laugh... the lighting I have is only incandelescent and I can't change that
unless I get all new tanks.

In that case, you don't have 4 wpg. Watts per gallon refers only to
flourescent light. Incandescent light is much less efficient. You have a
low-light tank, and that is probably why your plants don't look good for long.

You'd be better off with low-light plants like Willis suggested. Cabomba will
probably never grow well with your current lighting.

My other question was if it was possible to maintain a tank with zero algae
with fake plants or decorations too, and how one could manage that.

I've done it. For me, the trick was not overstocking the tank, having an
otocinclus or two, and doing regular water changes (30% weekly). If I
neglected the water changes, I would get algae problems, but they'd go away
when I got back on schedule.

Leigh