Old 30-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Jim Brown

Default if you don't have plants....

Cammie wrote in message
okay thanks for all the answers and suggestions... I think I will pick up

couple of the new screw in compact fluorescents and give them a try and
ditch these incandelescents. But also, I have always heard that higher
light also promotes more algae... so how do you win the battle.... more
light for better plants, but you might get more algae in the meantime.

Algae are in fact plants. Fish produce fertilizer (in very simplistic
terms). If no 'real' plants to use up fertilizer, then the algae plants
take over. It is also necessary to do water changes to reduce the toxins
(nitrates mainly) that build up over time and end up increasing 'plant'
growth.

Jim