Old 30-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Gene Schurg

Default Phal first blooming...

Peter,

If you remove the spent flower spike the plant puts all of its energy into
growing other parts of the plant and prepares to ultimately bloom again.

Leaving the old spike on some phals they may try to push out another bloom
or two or maybe a keiki. Since we are talking about first bloom seedlings
here I would recommend that the plant grow big and strong before it blooms
again.

Of course if the phal is one of the ones that rebloom indefinately on the
old spikes you have to decide what you want to do and may not take this
approach.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." wrote in message
. be...
why not wait till the stem is completely dried up before cutting it of?
Peter

"Diane Mancino" schreef in bericht
et...
I also have a phal that is in spike- a seedling. I guess this stem

should
definitely be cut after the bloom.

Diane