Old 04-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Diane Mancino

Default Oncidium flexorum

I think I have great changes, Inside this house is darkif I don't turn on
lights due to the wooded lot, and you must wear sunglasses in the sun here-
when i see a new growth on a plant i seem to want to check it out- or notice
the growth while handling. I just might mark the pots "n for north, s ,e ,w
" in the rim so I know which angle to keep it at on the windowsill.

all my progress this year and, it was time to move them outside this week-
hope I didn't set them back too much. I don't turn the orchids in bloom, but
didn't think it mattered on the others

On the other hand a young oncidium sprouted a new growth so fast after
moving that it was wrinkled ( always water it so I don't think it was too
dry) and the new pseudobulb split the old leaf from the new larger size.

I've lost a lot of new growths on oncidiums- they keep on sprouting new
shoots

Diane

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Diane,

It can cause problems if you rotate a plant and the new growth has a new
microclimate that it doesn't like.

If the new growth is shaded from the hot sun or the heat coming off the
window and you rotate the plant so that the new growth gets too warm it
could burn. The same goes for cold weather and the draft off the window.

I guess I think of that new growth as a new baby. An adult would not

think
about walking outdoors in the hot sun but a new baby would sunburn in a

few
minutes. The new growth has to adapt to the microclimate.

This isn't much of an issue if your growing environment doesn't have big
temp or sunlight variants.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
news
are you saying Gene that an oncidium will have trouble if it's rotated?

Mine
have been moved around quite a bit

Diane

"Dave Lockwood" wrote in message
A couple of months ago I mentioned a local society meeting where Sue

Fordyce
gave a talk. Among many of the items she covered was "dormant" growth
points or "eyes". She said Cattleyas have two on each psuedobulb. If

the
active one gets damaged the dormant one swings into action. In fact

she
said some people take advantage of this and will cut the rhizome on a

large
plant forcing new growth further back. You will get a much larger

flower
display. I do understand that judges don't like to see this and will

ding
you for it. That only matters if you give a hoot what other people

think
of
your plants. Personally I don't. I don't show my restored cars or my
orchids, just enjoy both!
"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
news Paulo,

Yes, this is quite normal. When a lead growth dies, the plant

activates
an
older "eye", or growing point, on an older pseudobulb. Sometimes it

will
activate another eye on the current pseudobulb instead.

-Eric in SF

"Paulo" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Everyone, i have a question...my onc.flexorum is growing from

the
oldest
pseudobulb....and the growth it had in the youngest one is

dying....Is
it
commun to grow from an old pseudobulb?