Old 06-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Martin Brown

Default Climbing Hydrangea 'Petiolaris'

In message , Mike
writes

Planted late last year on the North wall of our house, not seeming to do
very much. Should go to 50ft, but we realise that it has to establish
itself.

Question. When should we see it start to climb?

A watched kettle never boils...

They take a few years to settle down to steady growth - I presume they
need sufficient roots before they even consider reaching for the sky.

We have two. The one on the north wall thrives and has just reached
about 20' after about 15 years. The other one is self pruning in a wind
tunnel and has never got taller than about 6' without the higher bits
snapping off.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown