Old 07-07-2003, 09:27 PM
Glenna Rose

Default HELP? Vegetable plants all have light green leaves?

writes:

Contrary to what several people have said about letting it
age, I added mushroom soil directly to my raised beds this
spring. I was worried about doing this, and didn't really
want to but - because neither my husband nor myself is
capable of digging in our heavy clay (health problems)- I
had very little choice in the matter.

Pat, I was told that the reason spent mushroom soil is so great for the
garden is that it is aged horse manure. If that is true, you shouldn't
need to let it age; that's already been done. I would think even if it
were fresh at the start of the mushrooms, it would be aged when you
received it. Partly, it might seem what the definition of "aged" is.

My garden has been fortunate that I've been able to bypass the mushroom
stage and used the aged horse manure directly, in past years with
thousands of earthworms included. I figure with that many earthworms
working it, it can't be too fresh to use in my garden.

Who knows for certain about the spent mushroom soil? And how old is
"aged" when it comes to horse/steer manure?

Glenna