Old 08-07-2003, 02:32 AM
John Savage

Default Weed mat vs Newspaper

(Gen) writes:
What do you think are the pros and cons of each?

I haven't tried weed mat. But I know it takes me hours to put down
just a few old newspapers, especially if its a nice sunny day.
As I spread them out, I see articles that demand a second read!

One problem with newspapers is when you water a shrub with a hose for
5 or 6 minutes, the newspaper may divert the water so it runs off
well away from the roots. You need to leave some holes where you can
water to be sure that the soil underneath gets watered. With gentle
rain, I expect the water gradually soaks through the layers of paper.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)