Old 08-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Andrew G

Default Weed mat vs Newspaper

"Gen" wrote in message
om...
Weed mat vs Newspaper

As I was removing the large gravel covering the weed mat in a garden
bed today I mused on the comparative merits of both in the never
ending bid to cover the soil to reduce weeds.

What do you think are the pros and cons of each?

Weed Mat.
Good. Seems to work ok, but some weeds will still get through it, i.e Nut
grass can.
Bad. Can cause the soil to overheat in summer and possibly damage roots.

Newspaper.
Good. It breaks down. Seems to work well if put on thick.
Bad. Breaking down means it needs re-doing more often. Water may not get
through as well.

I would use the newspaper cos it's free. Neither work 100%. With the weed
mat and gravel on top eventually weed seeds wil;l get in the gravel and
start germinating, so it has to be pulled up and relayed.
Best control would we weed control by hand or spraying and trying to get rid
of any other weeds that may be around.
Good luck