Old 08-07-2003, 10:41 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default unidentifiable plant

You are right. It is unidentifiable because you left out a description of
the flower parts.

How many locules to the capsule? How many seeds in each locule?

If it doesn't have a milky sap, it definitely is not a Euphorbia.

The internet really sucks as a "tool" for identifying plants, doesn't it?

Ann wrote in message
m...
I have spent hours using Keble-Martin and the Internet to no avail,
trying to identify what would seem from the pictures to be a
euphorbia. But I don't think it can be that.
If I were to write some features of the plant to the best of my
ability, do you think you could identify it? Don't know if it's wild
or a garden variety. A weed I suspect.

Two self-sown seedlings in a 10" pot
Height abt. 1 metre.
Single stem, opposite, hairless, obovate, stalkless, serrated 8-10cm
darkish green, thick, tough leaves every 5/6cm. White central
mid-rib abt. 6mm wide at junction with stem. Small leaflet in axil.
Leaves not glaucous - no milk.
Stem pale greyish-white.
Approx 8cm from top of the main stem, are 5-6 umbel-like stems, up to
14cm long. Leaves on these short stems are approx 2cm long.
At top of each short stem of the umbel, small leaf ?bracts have opened
layer upon layer to finally reveal and onion-dome-shaped hard, tight,
greyish-green "capsule" with thin yellow "lines of longitude" meeting
at the tip of the "capsule".
So now there is the uninteresting stem, barely able to sustain its own
weight (the stem is now kinked)topped by an umbrel of 5-6 solid
"flowers". Looks as if each "capsule" will at any moment burst into
flower, but I guess the "capsule" is the flower. No smell or scent.
Please solve the mystery if possible from my description as to what
exactly this is. I'm in Kent, UK - S.E.. corner.