Old 08-07-2003, 11:19 PM
Dave Millman

Default What plants are suitable for hard water, pH around 8, medium light ?

Alan Silver wrote:

I'm just contemplating setting up a cichlid tank. Unlike my tropical
tank (which has very soft, slightly acidic water), this will require
hard water of pH around 8. I am interested in knowing what plants are
going to be happy in these conditions.

Preferably I would like plants that do not require high lighting as I am
trying to keep costs down a little ;-(

Alan,

Most plants love hard water, so that isn't going to be your problem. What
does "medium light" mean? Around here, we generally look for 1-1.5 watts per
gallion of quality flourescent light for a low-light tank. Many plants like
swords, anubias, java moss, java fern and some crypts can do really well in
these conditions.