Old 09-07-2003, 12:25 AM
Chuck Gadd

Default What plants are suitable for hard water, pH around 8, medium light ?

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:04:17 +0100, Alan Silver

wrote:

Hello,

I'm just contemplating setting up a cichlid tank. Unlike my tropical
tank (which has very soft, slightly acidic water), this will require
hard water of pH around 8. I am interested in knowing what plants are
going to be happy in these conditions.

As Dave mentioned, just about any plant will do great in hard water.
Claus from Tropica showed photos taken in south america, showing lots
of plants usually considered "soft water" plants doing amazingly well
in very hard water with a calcium carbonate substrate!

Claus made the point that soft water plants don't NEED soft water,
they are just the ones that can best tolerate soft water. Soft water
is lacking in minerals. Hard water has lots of stuff plants need!

But, a more important consideration for plant selection is which
plants will do well with african cichlids. They are known for
damaging plants, and being able to re-decorate a tank however they
want it.

Stick with tough plants (hard leaves) like african fern, java fern,
anubias. Vals also will usually do well. If the cichlids dig up the
plants constantly, then attach the plants to rocks or wood. All of
the above listed plants above except the vals will grow attached to
rocks or wood.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua