Old 09-07-2003, 06:08 AM
Alan Gould

Default Brown Tomatoe Bottoms...

In article , Sarah
Dale writes
Hi All,

I was looking at the tomatoes in my conservatory today, and
noticed several of the tomatoes (still green) had tan/beige coloured
bottoms - looked suspiciously like it had gone off - yet the top 2/3 - 3/4
of the fruits looks fine. I have 2 tomatoe plants in the conservatory -
both in large pots with a garden compost / organic peat free commercial
compost mix. All the rest of my tomatoes are outside. It's the first year
I've tried tomatoes indoors (and before anyone asks, I don't have a
greenhouse!) in an attempt to get more ripe ones before the summer goes!

Anybody got any idea what's up with these tomatoes, what I should do with
the affected fruit, and oganic cures for the problem?

That sounds like bottom end rot. It is a disorder rather than a disease.
It is caused by insufficient watering at the early stage of the plant's
development, or some other form of treatment the plant did not like.
Give the plants a fine water spray each day, and keep their soil just
moist without being waterlogged. New fruits following on should be ok.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.