Old 09-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Alan Silver

Default What plants are suitable for hard water, pH around 8, medium light ?

In article , Chuck Gadd
writes
But, a more important consideration for plant selection is which plants
will do well with african cichlids. They are known for damaging
plants, and being able to re-decorate a tank however they want it.

This was going to be my next question !!

Stick with tough plants (hard leaves) like african fern, java fern,
anubias. Vals also will usually do well. If the cichlids dig up the
plants constantly, then attach the plants to rocks or wood. All of
the above listed plants above except the vals will grow attached to
rocks or wood.

Given that this tank will be 24" high, I was wondering about fixing
plants in the rock pile I intend to build at the back. That will get
them nearer the light. The vals could always be planted in the
substrate, in cracks between the rocks where the fish couldn't easily
get to them.

Thanx for the reply

--
Alan Silver