Old 09-07-2003, 10:08 PM
zxcvbob

Default What's eating my cucumbers?

FarmerDill wrote:
According to the package, sevin is an effective control if
applied more than 7 days apart and no more than 6 times per crop.

I have tried Sevin, Its life spna is too short to be effective, It is also
deadly to bees, so you have use a spray late in the evening. The extension
services recommendation is Thiodan but it is also very toxic to bees and I
would not recommend it especially on a cucumber.

I was gonna say endosulfan, then realized that's the same thng as Thiodan.

I read this from North Carolina State University:
"The most important economic damage caused by the pickleworm is to the
fruit. Young pickleworms usually feed for a time among small leaves at
the growing tips of vines or within blossoms. A favorite place is the
large staminate flowers of squash where larvae hide under the ring of
stamens at the base of flowers. When about half grown, pickleworms
normally bore into the sides of fruits or stems and continue to feed
there, causing internal damage and producing soft excrement. Both young
and old fruits are attacked, but they prefer young fruits before the
rind has hardened."

So Bt *might* work before the worms bore into the fruits.

Best regards,
Bob

--
"Stealing a Rhinoceros should not be attempted lightly" --Kehlog Albran