Old 10-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Colin Malsingh

Default Brown Tomatoe Bottoms...

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:05:12 +0100, "Sarah Dale"
wrote:

Hi All,

I was looking at the tomatoes in my conservatory today, and
noticed several of the tomatoes (still green) had tan/beige coloured
bottoms - looked suspiciously like it had gone off

As well as watering, people also recommend additional calcium (and
sometimes magnesium) for this (B.E.R.).

I don't believe the standard Tomato fertilizers include either of
these (they're mainly N P K) but you have a variety of options:
- bonemeal
- crushed eggshells
- several US gardeners add calcium mineral
supplement tablets to the soil and say it helps
- There is a compound called Dolomite that contains both
calcium and magnesium

Hope that helps.

Colin
-----