Old 11-07-2003, 01:08 AM
LeighMo

Default java moss and fern

Today I received some Java moss from an internet retailer and I am unsure
of how to plant it. Right now I have it sitting on the gravel and it looks
really ugly. Maybe this is just because it is not established yet. What
are your recommendations?

Java moss tends to be a mess if not attached to something, especially in a
brightly lit tank. Others have already suggested stapling it to wood or tying
it to rocks. Some people also grow it on the background of the tank. (On
cork, or on needlepoint mesh.) It makes a very pretty background.

My friend had some in planted horse trough she had in her backyard. It grew
out of the water, straight up the side of the trough, and over the edge. It
was gorgeous.

Also, I purchased a Java fern and I understand that it should not be
planted in gravel. Is this really the case? I think it looks great in the
gravel but I don't want it to die. Thank you.

The rhizome -- that horizontal "root" -- should be above the gravel, or it
might rot. One trick for planting java fern is to tie it to a small rock.
That way, you can easily move the plant if you want to, even after it's
attached. You can bury the rock under the gravel (as long as you make sure the
rhizome isn't buried), if you don't want it showing.

Leigh