Old 11-07-2003, 04:18 AM
Gene Schurg

Default Fertilizer Injectors

Oh Bob....I had the same problem about a year ago and we discussed it at
length here on RGO.

I tried the siphon type.....with a water break there wasn't enough pressure
to suck out the fertilizer mix. I tried a couple of different water breaks
and a large diameter hose, that finally worked but I was unhappy with the
result. I wasn't sure how much fertilizer was being applied and if it was
being applied evenly.

What I finally ended up doing was getting a 32 gallon plastic trash can for
$10. Mark the side of the trash can at 5 gallon increments so you don't
always have to fill it to the top. I fill it with water and add the liquid
fertilizer to the concentration I want to use that day. I drop a $50 sump
pump into the bucket and plug the sump pump into a GFI plug. For 600
plants I use one trash can (32 gallons) of mix in the winter. During the
summer I am using 2 trash cans full to water. I think I am moving slower
during the summer.

Good growing,
Gene

"Bob Bailey" wrote in message
om...
I am looking for a simpler way to fertilize my orchids. I have about 60
plants. I want to get some type of fertilizer injector (siphon) that I

can
hook to my hose to water/fertilize. I have a wand on the hose with about

6
different settings. I want something cheaper, I'm not looking to spend

$100
on something. I've read that the siphons do not work well if the hose
attachment has a mister attachment. I would like something that will work
well if I am "misting" vandas or "showering" cattleyas. Any

recommendations
are appreciated.

Bob
Clearwater, FL