Old 11-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Wendy

Default Fertilizer Injectors

I use this method with the barrels & pump. Another advantage is that I pre
fill the barrel &
let it sit overnight & the chlorine dissipates . I cut the top out & use a
trashcan lid to stop debris.
Paid $10 from the carwash also paid a guy $5 who had collected some
empties from Jack In the Box. These were clean & opaque in colour so you can
see your water levels.
I had a bunch that I use to save my RO water in a few years ago, now
they are now cut in half & used as planters.
Cheers Wendy
"Ray" wrote in message
Bob,

The siphon-type devices work on a venturi effect - the flow is through a
narrow restriction, and the relative pressure drop created when the water
"expands" into the larger volume past it draws the fertilizer into the
stream. That venturi relies on the rate of flow through the orifice to
create the pressure drop. If you reduce the flow rate, whether that's by
turning down the upstream spigot or restricting the flow downstream, the
amount of pressure drop will be reduced, resulting in a reduced or
altogether eliminated draw of the fertilizer.

The submersible pump is a barrel of premixed nutrient solution is the best
way to go, although if you want a decent pump, you might approach the $100
you don't want to spend. You can probably get a used 55-gallon plastic

drum
from your local car wash.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Bob Bailey" wrote in message
om...
I am looking for a simpler way to fertilize my orchids. I have about 60
plants. I want to get some type of fertilizer injector (siphon) that I

can
hook to my hose to water/fertilize. I have a wand on the hose with

about
6
different settings. I want something cheaper, I'm not looking to spend

$100
on something. I've read that the siphons do not work well if the hose
attachment has a mister attachment. I would like something that will

work
well if I am "misting" vandas or "showering" cattleyas. Any

recommendations
are appreciated.

Bob
Clearwater, FL