Old 11-07-2003, 06:14 PM
Tomatolord

Default Squash Vine Borer

yes
basically a moth comes and lays its eggs at the base of the plant, the eggs
hatch and a little worm enters in and eats it way up the plant from the
inside. You can open the plant carefully and kill the worm.

the most effective is to have a row cover to keep the moths off

then you move to the various insecticides to kill the worm (sevin, bt etc)

NEXT year every foot or so of plant cover it with soil, not much just an
inch or so, the plant will send down new roots, then if the borer hits the
plant will have new roots to live off of, that is what the local farmers
here do.

tomatolord

"BB" wrote in message
Two of my vines(one a squash, and one pumpkin) have been sacrificed to
these borers

I had no idea about these creatures until yesterday when I saw my two
vines dead.

I looked it up on the web and got some information about them.
http://ipcm.wisc.edu/news/update/inc...c_sqvinebr.htm

Has anyone had this problem? And how do you prevent it? The wesbites say
to spray insecticides like Sevin etc, does that work?

With the loss of two vines, the death toll in my garden has gone up to
9plants(2 vines, 2tomoates, 2eggplants, 3 pepper). I am still not giving
up ;-)