Old 12-07-2003, 07:20 PM
BenignVanilla

Default duckweed adventure

"John Rutz" wrote in message
I bought a bushel ( 25lbs) of duckweed for my veggie filter figured it
would shade out some of the algae in there and use up what nutrieents
the plants didnt it only covered about 1/4 of the open water in my

filter!

so much for prior planning i am guesing it would take 200-250 lbs to
cover it solid with out the plants that are in with it

I left a quick response before, but had to run out, coincidently enough, to
mail some duckweed to some PORGs. Anyway, I have a 3000 gallon or so pond,
including my VF so I have lots of surface area. 2 zip lock bags full of
duckweed have overtaken my pond, and now have roots about 6-8 inches long.
Check out my latest pics on my web site, so you can see how this stuff
spreads, http://darofamily.com/jeff/easyurl/pondphotos.htm.

The plants have done wonders for my water. I think they are a major
contributer to my clay reduction solution. Now that the water has cleared a
bit, and I have been able to share some, I plan to start culling the
duckweed back a bit, so I can see the water in the pond.

Everyone is welcome to whatever I can cull.

BV.